Title: Interlibrary Loan / Circulation Clerk
Summary of Position: Performs a variety of library circulation and
clerical functions; provides friendly, high quality customer service
to library patrons; and functions as interlibrary loan assistant.
Reports to: Circulation Supervisor; Interlibrary Loan Coordinator,
depending upon duties being performed.
Status: Part-time; hourly; non-exempt
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Performs circulation desk duties using automated library system (ILS), including checking material in and out, renewing and reserving materials, patron registration, shelving, etc.
- Processes interlibrary loans.
- Uses automated library system (ILS) to process requests for materials not available at TCFL.
- Utilizes automated system of notification to library patrons when requested materials are available.
- Assists with interlibrary loan transactions.
- Receives and logs materials borrowed from other libraries and prepares returned materials.
- Responds to patrons' questions and requests.
- Answers telephone in a professional manner.
- Assists in maintaining a professional, friendly and welcoming library environment.
- Interacts with and assists library patrons in finding and using library materials and resources.
- Regularly works weekdays, evenings and weekends as scheduled.
Projects and Systems Support:
- Maintains circulation and interlibrary loan service skills and knowledge to meet system and state requirements.
- Explains and implements system policies and procedures.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
- Maintains displays promoting library materials and services.
- Assists with library programming and outreach.
- Provides support functions including but not limited to: opening and closing activities of the circulation desk and the branch; unpacking, sorting, and processing deliveries; ordering and receiving supplies; and other activities as assigned.
- Participates in meetings, teams/committees/workgroups, and training opportunities.
Essential Physical Requirements:
- Regularly communicates with Library patrons and staff in person, electronically, and by phone.
- Routinely uses computer keyboard.
- Frequently lifts and moves materials weighing up to 40 lbs., and pushing book trucks weighing 100+ lbs.
- Frequently positions library books and materials in appropriate place or shelf.
- Regularly moves around the Library facility.
- Regularly uses telephone and other office equipment.
- May need to work at the St. Michaels library when necessary.
- High School diploma or G.E.D.
- 1 year or more customer service or retail experience.
- Or equivalent technical training, education, and experience.
Occasional travel and participation in professional development and training.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills including problem solving and flexibility; ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to learn and implement the library's circulation processes, policies, and procedures; ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Knowledge of the Dewey Decimal system.
- Familiarity with relevant computer equipment and associated software applications; strong and accurate keyboarding skills.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment and machines, including copiers, cash register and telephone system.
- Mathematical ability to receive cash and make change.
- Effective communication skills.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be
construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or
working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals
with disabilities to perform essential functions of this job.
This, and all library positions, are eligible for system-wide
Talbot County Free Library staff work in a diverse environment and are
expected to demonstrate respect for and relate to co-workers and
patrons from many different backgrounds and cultures. The Talbot
County Free Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with
the Americans with Disabilities Act. The Library's policy is to treat
all applicants and employees equally without regard to race, color,
religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or